Wednesday, September 21, 2011

The Beginning: Anissa's Perspective + Delish Fall Recipe

Contrary to what many people may think, I really haven’t been baking for that long.  Many of my previous jobs have been in the food industry, but I never got into it outside of work.  It all started when my cousin (Hi Meg!) and I started baking together at my first apartment.  She’s a phenomenal cook and baker and I was not - at the time.  She taught me how to make some of the simplest desserts, such as Chex Puppy Chow.  She bought me a beginner’s cookbook.  I would call her almost every time I would attempt a new recipe with a million questions.  And now that I look back on it, I’m sure they were some of the stupidest questions ever.  But she never led me to believe that… well, maybe she did make fun of me a few times. 

Fast forward a couple years, my then fiancé was offered a job in Atlanta, GA, which meant him moving right then and there.  I lived in MI while he lived between GA and NC for our whole engagement.  I decided try baking (on my own!) to keep myself busy.  I started with my Mom’s Taste of Home magazines and just picked a new recipe each time.  It became a stress-reliever for me.  It kept my mind off having to be away from my soon-to-be husband.  It was relaxing.  By the time said fiancé came back for our wedding, I was a baking fool. 

Fast forward another 3 or so years, I am now teaching Meg how to make more difficult pastries, such as my family’s secret recipe baklava and answering her random baking and decorating questions.  My first job in GA was in a bakery.  I (finally!) left there and went to another bakery.  No matter how hard I try, I can’t get away from food service.
   
And now I can sit around and chat about food, cooking, baking, unique ingredients, etc. because I actually know what I’m talking about these days…
…I like to think so at least.
My favorite husband, Beau has also become addicted to the kitchen.  This makes me so happy.  Why?  Because now I’m not alone in my addiction!  So we thought, why not start a food blog?  We hear about how we should start one on an almost daily basis.  We are constantly being asked to share our recipes and photos.  We both need a hobby, aside from being in the kitchen and at work 24/7…  So, let’s do this!

* * * *

The first recipe, Apple Cinnamon Toffee Blondies, is in honor of the first day of Fall, which is Friday.  Anything with apples and cinnamon reminds me Fall, which then reminds me of Fall in Michigan - my absolute favorite time of the year!  And then I start to get really homesick, but I digress…   Head to your local apple orchard (or supermarket), pick up some of your favorite apples, and try this recipe.


 


Apple Cinnamon Toffee Blondies
2/3 cup room temperature butter
2 cups packed light brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla

2 cups All-Purpose Flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt

1 cup peeled, chopped tart apple (1 large)
1/2 cup toffee bits



Preheat oven to 350°. 
Spray 9×13 baking pan lightly with cooking or baking spray.
Cream butter and brown sugar in mixer until smooth.
Add eggs and vanilla and beat on medium until combined.
On low, add flour, baking powder, and salt. Mixing until just combined.
Stir in the chopped apples and toffee bits until evenly distributed.
Spread in prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes until the center is set.
Let cool completely before slicing or frosting.







Brown Sugar Frosting


1/2 cup butter
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup milk
2 cups powdered sugar



Melt butter in a medium saucepan. Add brown sugar and milk and bring to a boil. Remove from heat. Let cool for 5 minutes.
Stir in powdered sugar with a whisk.
Let cool until it thickens enough to spread.
Stir before spreading on top of blondies.
Let frosting set for 30 minutes and then cut into bars.









Adapted from:
     Cookies and Cups.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Beau! love the idea of a food blog, look forward to all the good recipes! Jessica (jerrys sister)

    ReplyDelete